We are seeking a bright, analytical Data Scientist to help our team and clients extract the maximum value from data collaborations.
Location: South Africa (Remote / Hybrid)
About the role
The Data Scientist position falls within the Data and Analytics team and reports to the Head of Data Science.
The Data and Analytics team assists our clients with extracting the maximum value from their data collaborations and ensures the Omnisient Platform stays ahead of the competition by differentiating built-in intelligence and analytical tools.
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to analyse large amounts of raw information from client data collaborations to find patterns and build data products to extract valuable business insights.
Data Scientist responsibilities include planning projects and building analytics models. You should have a strong problem-solving ability and a knack for statistical analysis. We also want to see a passion for machine learning and alternative data.
If you’re also able to align our data products with our clients’ business goals, we’d like to meet you.
You will contribute to the primary purpose of the Data and Analytics team by designing, planning, and performing data preparations, analyses, client presentations and machine learning model developments across multiple environments.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Interpret and analyse data problems.
- Conceive, plan and prioritize data projects.
- Align data projects with client and organizational goals.
- Data mining, preparation and collection (finding relevant data, data ingestion, data cleaning, feature engineering, indexing etc. and ensuring data quality and integrity)
- Perform exploratory and descriptive analysis of data to answer specific questions or to discover trends and patterns.
- Visualize data and create interactive dashboards, reports, charts and tables to make analysis findings easy to understand.
- Build analytic systems and predictive models, using machine learning algorithms where necessary; testing various solutions to a problem to determine the best one considering accuracy, business context, processing time and deployment approach.
- Create presentations and reports to communicate findings and developments in a way that is easy for a non-technical audience to understand.
- Collaborate with various teams and stakeholders including data engineers, software engineers, client facing team, client stakeholders and analysts etc.
- Research and experiment with new tools, models and techniques
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required in line with your main duties.
It is expected that the Data Scientist will continuously develop the necessary technical skills to perform the above tasks as well as adopt a relentless focus on always using best practises and automating the work for future use.
- Degree in Data Science, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ hands-on experience as a Data Scientist or in a similar role.
- Experience with pricing or risk models in the insurance industry would be advantageous.
- Solid understanding and working experience in building machine learning models.
- Working knowledge of data management and data visualization tools and techniques.
- Proficient in Python and SQL programming languages.
- Experience in Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Machine Learning or similar cloud data analytics platforms will be an advantage.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc…)
- Problem-solving aptitude and a business mindset.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Contact: Riva van Niekerk ([email protected])